From:
JANNA C KIMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:02:24 -0500
Pamela,

So many things to do!  Sorry for the late reply, but I am just getting
around  to digesting the many email(s?).  I taught an art camp for 5-7 year
olds, You can get messy or stay clean. Being that you are an art, not
children's museum, I am assuming clean is preferable.

-Take a stack of artists postcards, well known art-and for the readers you
can do a matching game with the names (color coded on the back so they know
if they are right). Also, a simple picture memory game will work with
non-readers--again using art cards.

-we used to make "stained glass windows" with colored cellophane and see
thru contact paper. the kids can tear or cut shapes, stick them on one piece
of contact paper. when they are done they can put another piece on top.
punch a hole in the top for a hanging string and voila! a beautiful window
piece.

-you can take tagboard and cut many shapes and punch holes. then use straws
or cut up balloon sticks and create many types of sculptures without any
mess! sort of like make your own tinkertoys

-we also have used glue machines (guns) very successfully (have an adult do
the gluing or offer small gardening gloves if you are wary) with small
children with a minimum amount of mess--this allows them to create wonderful
sculptures out of found pieces or supplies you may purchase. even letting a
5 year old hot glue wood blocks together--you get amazing results!

good luck!

Hope these help...
Janna C. Kimel
www.accessiblethreads.com