From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:14:36 -0500
Let's try to keep in mind here, that the issue being discussed was not
original with me; it originated in an African-American history class thirty
years ago, when I was told by the African-American students that I should
not be there because I was incapable of understanding the Black experience
in America.

I dropped the class because the environment was hostile and must admit that
their position gave rise to some serious intellectual questions, i.e. to
what extent, as an historian, could I indeed, understand the experiences of
certain cultural groups outside my own.

As I have noted, that did not keep me from trying but it did, and continues
to give me pause, when it comes to positions in ethnic-specific museums.
 It kinda like my loving music not really preparing me to direct a
music-related museum.

As for those who have focused on specific cultures or ethnic groups in
their academic pursuits, I see no problem.  They would surely be qualified
to assume such positions.

I just think it would be somewhat absurd of me to apply for the
directorship of say, a west coast museum with a focus on the
Japanes-American experience.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum