From:
Mark Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 02:26:46 GMT
I have to add my agreement with Mark Vang on this issue. I see no possible
way for a person to determine what operating system should be used in such
diverse applications (Membership, CMS, exhibits) all prior to selecting the
software vendors or even the language the programs are to be running in!
This is just counter to all the reccommendations found in the MCN literature
as well as Computer Science 100,200,300 and 400 in school. Take it from me
first hand, we run Novell for the accounting system, Lantastic for the
Membership, Windows NT for the CMS and UNIX for the chiller plant
operations.  Then we have a network of Macs for graphic and exhibit design,
while the exhibit displays all run without a computer, instead using Sony CD
platters. Some of this is tied together with our Ethernet Fiber Optic
backbone and some of it runs stand alone.

Pick the solutions first, then the platform will be automatic to select.
Mark Friedman
The Mariners' Museum
Mgr of I/S

Mark Vang ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Ken,
:
: I can understand how the Southern Gospel Association would want to specify
the
: operating platform for their office equipment, but isn't it putting the cart
: before the horse to use this criteria to specify exhibit equipment.  Your
: message doesn't say whether the SGA intends to develop their own interactive
: computer exhibits or will they be soliciting proposals from exhibit
: developers.
:
: In the latter case, doesn't it make more sense to select the company which
: will provide the best interactive exhibit software?  The life of an exhibit
: computer system is very simple... get turned on in the morning, load the
: exhibit software and run that software and only that software all day.
: Considering the fact that it's a dedicated, turn-key system who cares what
the
: hardware/OS platform is as long as it works, and is supported by the exhibit
: developer.
:
:
:
: >We're also looking for Macintosh based hardware/software systems for
: >interactive audio and video displays.

--
Mark K. Friedman  "Fix the holes     * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Tidewater, VA     in the roof        * Email:  [log in to unmask]       *