From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 06:15:17 -0500
My institution is currently in the planning stages of a major new exhibit
and educational programs on the garment industry  and a topic has come up
that many of the people on our planning  committee have little experience
with.  The idea was put forth to use robotic, lifelike manekins to give
pre-recorded speeches and answer pre-canned answers to visitor's
questions.  This issue has created an amiable divide between planners.
Everyone seems to have strong opinions on both sides.  I myself am
against them for reasons having to do with repair costs, regular
mainentance burdens, dependence on usually unreliable outside repair
people,  questionable educational value, and , to put it blunly, I have
always found the things to look dorky even when viewing the top of the
line models brought to AAM and other conference's vendor shows.

None of us on the committee have any real experience with Manekins and
are arguing with our feelings on this issue.  Could you help supply some
answers?

Does anyone on the list have any experience with these things?
 How much do they cost to keep up?
 What is turn around time on repairs when they go down, and they will go
down.
Has anyone here worked with Dorfman (I think that is the name), the
company we will probably go with and a regular at conferences.
Are they reliable?
Does anyone have any information, either controled study or anecdotal,
that speaks to the educational value of manekins? Does anyone learn
anything from them?

I would like everyone's opinion, whether exhibit designer, curator,
educator, building or physical plant personnel, or just regular museum
goer.  Sales professionals from companies who supply this type of
equipment are strongly encouraged to reply, but please represent yourself
as such.

If you agree with me, please give me substantial ammunition to use.  If
you disagree with me, please convince me I am wrong.  Please reply via
private email  unless you feel this would be a fruitful area of public
discussion.  When replying, please let me know if I can use your name as
a reference and/or if you are available to give further "testimony" for
our committee.

Than you in advance for any enlightenment on this issue.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway