From:
patricia l roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 13:25:40 -0500
To add to the other suggestions--

It may also be a theatrical piece, though the markings make this doubtful.
Or it may have been created for a fraternal group of some kind (thus its
designation as "ceremonial"--where did that designation come from?)

Is the crown (main body) of the helmet leather or metal?  This may help
narrow your search time-wise.

I believe that Horst is/was a store in Philadelphia (stores often added
their own labels to their wares--some still do).  You may be able to hunt
down archives which include sales records, or at least go back to
advertisements in local newspapers for some kind of reference, though this
is slow going even when you have a narrow time period.

Are either "P.M.D.  Phila"  or "A.C. Gilson  Sackett"  hand written?  If
one is, it is likely the signature of the original owner of the helmet.
The other is likely the maker.  You might be able to check in city
registries for Gilson, at least.

Good luck!

Pat Roath
Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN