From:
Funder Claudia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:48:00 PST
Hi Mary,

At the Performing Arts Museum we are reviewing our collecting policy
(includes deaccessioning policy).  It is still in the "draft" form, but the
beginnings have been implemented as a test run.

The deaccessioning issue has really arisen on a practical level from the
Computer Cataloguing Project.   As we catalogue collections, some of the
material presently held is being questioned.  A form has been developed for
the questionable material.  As each question on the form is answered, points
are alloted.  Out of 100 points, the object has to achieve 50 or above to
validate its remaining in the collection (copy of form below).

If the object does not obtain a score of 50, it is then worth seriously
questionning its place in the collection and more research into the original
acuqisition of that item is done.  If it is then decided that we *do* want
to deaccession the item, there is a cooling off period and a note of
documentation and justification must be written for the file.
The method of deaccessioning also depends on how we acquired it in the first
place (given elsewhere, sale, disposal)  It is these later procedures that
still need to be nutted out and are very dependent on how we got it in the
first place.

At this stage we are identifying items, using the form, but nothing has
actually been deaccessioned.    I must emphasize that I think there are some
serious assumptions in the form that need addressing and that the process
isn't as cut and dry as the form system might make it look.  THE ALLOCATION
OF POINTS DOES NOT DECIDE WHETHER WE KEEP THE OBJECT.  The human element
always does have to be considered.  As I say, its only in draft form.  Any
comments would be gratefully received.

Performing Arts Museum Deaccession Assessment Form
Object name    Registration No.                   Rating:
Does the object fit in with the collection policy?
               yes                 50
               No                  0
Is this a duplicate
               yes                 0
               no                  5
Is this a mass produced Item?
               yes                 0
               no                  5

Physical condition       good                5
               fair                3
               poor                0

Conservation needed?
               No                  5
               yes under$500            2
               yes over $500            0

Is it oversized?         yes                 0
               no                  5

Special storage required?     no                  5
               yes under $100           2
               yes over $100            0

Conditions attached to donation?
               yes                 0
               no                  5

Support documentation?   yes                 5
               no                  0

Authenticity (has it been verified?)
               yes                 5
               no                  0

Does the museum have proof of ownership?
               yes                 5
               no                  0
TOTAL NO OF POINTS:

Claudia