From:
Moira Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:56:44 +1030
Hi, Meryl,

There are four main sources that I know of  for those seeking
museum-related jobs in the UK.

1. The Museums Association, the national professional organisation for the
UK, produces a monthly publication the "Museums Journal" which includes a
pretty comprehensive recruitment supplement, which is probably used by most
museums or authorities when advertising museum and gallery vacancies. Museum
Jobs is their on-line version: click on the logo at the top of the home
page: www.museumsassociation.org or type in the URL www.museumjobs.org for
direct access.

2. The Guardian newspaper is another very popular advertising avenue for job
vacancies. Each day the jobs section deals with a different field: e.g.
Media and Arts, Education, Science and Technology.
On-line listings are also available from Guardian Unlimited at:
http://jobs.guardian.co.uk

3. Jim Roberts in the Department of Museum Studies at Leicester University
now maintains an excellent listing of jobs covering many countries in
addition to the UK. Jobs Desk can be accessed via the Department's website
and graduates of the course can opt to join the List-serv and receive weekly
updates.
http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/jobsp.htm#inst

4. Resource: The Council for Museums, Libraries and Archives has some useful
links to employment sites in museums, libraries and archives. See
www.resource.gov.uk/home/jobs.asp

Cheers,
Moira.

Moira Simpson,
(formerly of Warwick University, England)
Department of Cultural Studies,
Flinders University,
Adelaide,
Australia.