From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:26:57 -0700
I'm sure a conservator will chime in with a much more approved solution.
Before I treated the wood (I think you are talking pest management rather
than preservative) I would cut it to size so that I would only be treating
that I needed to treat.  Two methods I have heard advocated for treating
objects to rid them of pests are 1. A blast(?) freezer which will take the
object to 0 quickly and 2. Placing the objects in special bags and using an
oxygen depleter.  Both of these methods have specific routines that need to
be followed to assure "complete bug death."  These methods have the
advantage of introducing no harmful chemicals into your exhibit area.
Again my apologies for not having the complete information at my computer.

Audra Oliver