From:
heather macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 16:04:04 EDT
Hello!  I am a Museum Management and Curatorship student, currently doing an
internship at the Canadian Canoe Museum, in Peterborough, Ontario.  The CCM,
which opened its doors to the public in 1997, is a national museum in the
making, with the largest and most important collection of canoes and kayaks
in the world. (For more information about our site, and what we do, please
visit our website at www.canoemusem.net)  One of my projects includes
researching current practices and trends in the field of Interpretation
within museums, historic sites, and other culture and heritage institutions,
in order to recommend strategies for the development of the CCM's program.
I am seeking opinions and information about effective interpretation styles
and techniques, whether 1st person interpretation, self-guided tours,
docents, etc., and what styles are most effective from the visitor's point
of view.  I would greatly appreciate a response from any members of the
heritage community, from all varieties of sites and Interpretation programs,
about initiatives or programs that have worked/failed for your site, visitor
response, and also about what trends are developing in the field - where do
you see Interpretation heading, both in your institution, and in the general
museum/heritage community.  Thank you for taking the time to help me with my
study.
Heather MacDonald
The Canadian Canoe Museum