From:
Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:22:36 -0600
At 02:41 PM 10/28/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>The State Historical Museum of Wisconsin is currently working with our
>local authorities to identify and properly dispose of live ammunition
>that made its way into our collections over 150 years of collecting.  We
>would be interested in hearing from other museums that have dealt with
>similar materials.
>
>Please contact either Paul Bourcier ([log in to unmask])
>or myself ([log in to unmask]).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life
>Museum Division
>State Historical Society of Wisconsin
>816 State St.
>Madison, WI 53704
>(608)-264-6552

We are working on a seminar on that very subject with the U.S. Army Ordnance
Division at nearby Ft. Hood. We hope to make it available to our colleagues
nationwide.

A short answer is this - The U.S. Army tells us that their ordnance
department can and will work with you on i.d. and disposal if asked to do so
by a government agency such as a poice department, city government, etc.
Here in Texas they travel 100s of miles to work with area museums. Once
identified as dangerous they will dispose of it (destruction) at no charge.
I would call your nearest Army base with an ordnance team.

They also tell us that the U.S. Marine Corps has a division that will inert
historic shells, ammo, etc. without destroying its appearance.

Our seminar will involve identification, dangers, handling, and destruction
versus rendering historically valuable pieces inert.
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.