From:
Laura Finger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:32:36 -0700
That depends on whether you're talking about high
school or college students.  Most HS kids love the
idea of spending the day on campus, but let's face it,
there are more interesting places than the museum.
Universities would do themselves a favor by adding the
musuems and other cultural features to orientation
sessions.  HS students would be best lured with the
notion of extra credit.

College students, on the other hand, often want to get
off of their own campus as much as possible. But since
they are privy to the dangers of parking in the wrong
place and getting tickets, they are loath to make the
effort to drive to an unfamiliar campus and go through
the effort of finding a (usually) centrally located
musuem on an alien campus.  Those that don't take
advantage of musuems on their own campuses are usually
NOT even aware that the museum even exsists (a perfect
example of the need for staff and faculty to advertise
the more cultural aspects of campus life).  Or they
have more interesting things fighting for their time.
Use field trips and extra volunter time and the musuem
(college students like field trips,too!) to get them
in there
--- Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am posting this for a Museum Studies student and
> apologize for cross
> postings.  Please reply to me off-list!
> Thanks
> Kathrine Schlageck
> Beach Museum of Art
> Kansas State University
>
> What do you consider to be the top obstacles in
> getting students to
> visit college/university museums?
> Katie Jarmer

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Restoration and Conservation Division
Tennessee State Library and Archives