Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 18:29:45 -0700
    I have been told that it was not an uncommon practice to use arsenic
to preserve Native American artifacts as late as the turn of the century.
And that many of the perishable artifacts (such as clothing, bow quivers,
and dance regalia) that were collected before it was understood how toxic
arsenic and other poisons are, are now dangerous to handle.  I would like
to know if anyone has any knowledge of these practices or if you have had
to abide by any precautionary measures (such as rubber gloves or face
masks) while examining artifacts.
    When I first heard of this, my first reaction was that it could
explain much of the reluctance of museum curators to become more active
in repatriation.  After all, who wants to returna toxic, spiritually
significant, object to its original owners?
    I welcome any and all comments on this subject, either posted here or
directly to me at:  [log in to unmask]

                 -Thank you,

                         Larry