From:
Ginny Cass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:22:17 -0700
Mary Ames B. Sheret wrote:

> Has anyone been in a cooperative arrangement with another
> museum/institution for use of collections storage space? Has anyone rented
> space in their own storage facility to another museum for their
> collections? I'd like to hear about your experiences and pitfalls. Thanks!
>
> Mary Ames Sheret
> Southern Oregon Historical Society

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula has allowed the nascent Forest
Service Museum to store items at its site (the FSM has no building at
present).  They also cooperate with the National Society of Foresters,
who maintain some outdoor exhibits a the site, and a group called
Internment Remembered, who are working to restore something of the
Japanese Internment camp at the site.  In addition, two other groups
hold their events on museum property and have 'structures' on site...the
United Peoples Pow Wow and a brand new group whose name I don't know
that will be doing outdoor theatre on site every summer.

I am not on the staff at the HM@FM, so cannot comment directly on
'experiences and pitfalls.'  I can give you the names of the director
and curator (off list please) if you wish to follow up on this (or you
could talk to them at the Mountain Plains Museum Assn meeting at the
HM@FM in a couple of weeks, hope you are going to attend).

Ginny Cass
President, Board of Directors
Northern Rockies Heritage Center