From:
Nina Stoyan-Rosenzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:20:22 -0400
I have been working on a complex and thoughtful response that treats all
respondents respectfully, but am throwing all that away to say that
given the structure of the questions and the way science approaches
external reality it is still not another religion!  Granted there are
people who approach science as a religion- I've certainly known
evolutionary biologists who approach their science with the same fervor
as a religious fundamentalist, and who are as intolerant of other
beliefs as anyone in ID.

But the bottom line is that the entire structure of their discipline,
the way that science addresses problem solving means that it is entirely
different from religions.  Science addresses how- religion addresses
why.  People can and do the findings of science to buttress religious
ideas, but that is going from is to ought, which is one of the most
important no nos of science.  Scientists (although again they are human
and fallible) should not make the mistake of reading morality into their
results, or saying that because something is a particular way it ought
to be that way.  People can turn to a variety of means of speculating
about the meaning of scientific discoveries, they can explore the sense
of wonder that the universe and its laws arouses in their heart and
soul.  But when they do so they are moving into an entirely different
realm of human endeavor.  They are going from science to religion.

Best, Nina S-R
PS I haven't read all of the posts, and am wondering if anyone has
addressed the question of what processes might lead to development of
the intelligent aliens who some might believe were responsibile for life
on earth.  To me that simply removes the process of evolution to another
planet!!!!!

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/01/05 02:25PM >>>
What Tim says below really resonates with me.

What if the notion of God, defined simplistically as a set of
processes,
forces, natural laws and observable phenomena that influence(d) our
past, present and future, is what science is devoted to teasing out?
Then science becomes another religion, and the ID/evolution battle
becomes simply another clash in humanity's long history of religious
wars (which were not so much about religion but about land, but that
is
beside the point).

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator