From:
Anna Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:34:38 -0500
Hello, my name is Anna Day, and I am an Honors Anthropology student at the
University of Arizona. I am working with Lisa Falk, Director of Education at
the Arizona State Museum (located in Tucson, AZ) to develop an outreach kit
program for our museum.  I am sending out this questionnaire in order to
gain feedback and advice from museums which already have an outreach
program.  I am hoping that you will answer these questions about your own
program so that I might be able to use your experience to make our outreach
kit program the best it could be. Once completed, this report will be made
available for all respondents.

There are two sections to this questionnaire, one devoted to the outreach
kits, and the other to teacher membership programs. This should take 10-15
minutes to complete.  Please email your response to me at
[log in to unmask] or fax it c/o Lisa Falk at (520) 621-2976. Thank you
so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and expertise. If you
have any questions, feel free to contact me at the above email address, or
Lisa Falk at
(520) 626-2973 or [log in to unmask] .

Questionnaire, Part 1: Outreach Kit Programs

1. Please describe your outreach program. Discuss the subjects or themes it
covers, materials and objects used, and any other details you would like to
share.

2. Who is your target audience for the kits? Why? In addition to schools, do
particular community groups (for example Girl Scoots) use your kits?

3. What determines the subject matters your kits cover?

4. Do you work with teachers to develop your kits? If so, how?

5. Do you include lesson plans or activity suggestions with your kits? If
so, describe.

6. What other materials and services do you offer in conjunction with your
outreach kit program, if any?

7. Which kits and kit materials are favorites amongst your renters?

8. What do you think makes your outreach kits attractive to teachers and
others who rent them?

9. Do you have a space dedicated for reviewing and storing kits before they
are checked out? Please describe it.

10. How do you advertise your kit program? If you have print materials,
please send us a copy.

11. Please describe the process for renting your kits. Include who can rent
them, when they can be rented, how long they can rented for, the space and
techniques used for renting and tracking kits, handling late returns, as
well as the literal steps it takes to rent a kit, etc.

12. What tips can you give us to make the rental process convenient and
useful for teachers and others?

13. How do you ensure the kits are returned on time and in a good condition?

14. If you charge for the rental of your kits, or other services in your
outreach program (if applicable) how much do you charge? How did you
determine the rental fee?

15. What system do you use to schedule kit rentals? Do you use some sort of
online scheduling program?

16. What personnel is required to run your kit program? Please describe
their job duties as related to the kit program.

17. Do you offer the services of a staff or volunteer to present the kits to
the students? Please explain.

18. Do you train or instruct teachers and other renters in the use of the
outreach kits? If so, how is this undertaken?

19. What is your yearly budget for the outreach kit program? What does it cover?

20. Are there any other tips for success you could share?

Questionnaire, Part 2: Teacher-Museum Membership Programs
1. Do you provide a special teacher membership program?

If YES, please answer the remaining questions:
2. Please describe your teacher membership program and indicate how it
differs from your museum's general membership program.

3. What are the benefits received by members in the teacher membership program?

4. Do you charge for participation in your program? Is there a separate
category for institutions (schools or community groups) and individual
teachers? Please explain.

5. How long does a membership subscription last?

6. How do you advertise your teacher membership program? Please send us a
copy of any PR pieces.

7. What do you think attracts teachers to your program? IE: What makes it
special and valuable to them?

THANK YOU

Your opinions are highly valued. Please return your completed survey by
Friday, February 2nd to asmoutreach@gmailcom or fax c/o Lisa Falk at
520-621-2976. We would also appreciate any brochures or other materials you
could send us about your outreach kit or membership programs. Please mail
them to me at:

Anna Day
PO Box #20684
Tucson, AZ 85719