From:
Carol Bossert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:39:38 -0400
Liz ,

You asked about setting up a Resource Room.  What did you have in mind?  Who
is it for (teachers, scientists, students, the general public).  what types
of things were you envisioning would be in it (books, periodicals, objects,
teaching/learning kits, CD-ROM's)?  Is this a place where people go to use
the materials or is this a place to borrow materials? One of my favorite
Resource Rooms La Villette in Paris where the general public and students
could listen to interviews with scientists, view CD-ROM's, read periodical
and books.  Everytime I have been there it has been very busy with engaged
folks.

There used to be, possibly still is, a great teacher resource room for art
teachers at Kean College near you.  Teachers could borrow materials, create
models, even do simple things like cut construction paper, things that they
couldn't do or didn't have time to do in their schools.  Clearly you want to
identify your audience and then ask them what they need.  Someone in your
own back yard who could be very helpful is Lucy Voorhees, Director of
Education at The Newark Museum.

Good luck.