From:
Griffin's hotmail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 08:36:38 -0500

I think that one of the important things for small organizations to think first about is how you want to use an online tool.  Websites are different from databases.  If you are storing discreet pieces of data, more like a online archive, that isn’t a website but a collections management system in the form of a database, like PastPerfect, ReDiscover, ContentDM, or TMS. Websites, designed using tools like Wordpress, can draw from these and that can make the site dynamic and interesting.  Many small organizations don't understand the differences between these online tools.
In my museum studies teaching days, I always told my students that museums operated on 2 principles: Access and Preservation. If I were to grossly exaggerate and generalize their uses, I would say that a website is for access while an online collections management system (database) is for preservation.
Anna

Anna Fariello, Associate Professor
Digital Initiatives
Hunter Library, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee NC 28723
828-227-2499
http://www.wcu.edu/library/DigitalCollections/