From:
Jim Druzik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 07:48:42 -0800
Karen,
I agree with you AND John Burke.  I am the one whose bad
luck it is to field the numerous conservation questions that
get routed to the Getty Conservation Institute and sometimes
the J. Paul Getty Museum.  People would never expect a
medical doctor to make a diagnosis over the phone, yet they
call you and ask for BOTH A DIAGNOSIS AND THE COST.
However, among museum professionals one should expect
a slightly higher level of sophistication making "nuts and
bolt" questions useful.  I remember years ago a little book
with a title like "Questions You Should Ask Your Framer
and Answers You Should Get".  Sometimes the "nuts and
bolts" questions may be just checking on other information.
Jim Druzik