From:
Alex Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 12:23:14 -0500
Paul Apodaca writes:

>NAGPRA creates a process whereby museums that come under its jurisdiction
>agree to work with a tribe, only if the tribe requests it, to develop a
>list of objects that both parties agree fits the definitions in the NAGPRA.

Hmm.  No flame intended, but I think this is an example of the confusion
mentioned by Paul Apodaca in a previous post.  First, in terms of
jurisdiction, NAGPRA casts a broad net.  Any museum or institution
receiving federal funds from any federal agency via grants, loans,
contracts, or other arrangements are affected, and if the museum is part
of a larger entity receiving federal funds (including state, county or
city governments) it is affected as well.  This would directly include
private museums that have received IMS, NSF, NEH, NEA or a variety of
other grants after November 16, 1990.

Regarding the actual process, institutions were to have compiled a summary
of any materials or collections which might fall under NAGPRA and submit
these preliminary summaries to culturally affiliated tribes on or before
November 16, 1993.  Copies of the summaries were also to be forwarded to
the National Park Service.  Preparation of these summaries was required by
NAGPRA, and native groups did not need to request their compilation.  The
second phase of the process is for institutions, in consultation with
affiliated Indian tribes, Native Hawaiian organizations, and Alaska Native
villages and corporations, to prepare an item-by-item inventory of human
remains and associated funerary objects.  Again, this is less a case of
"museums only have to do this if someone asks" than insisting that museums
prepare detailed inventories _in consultation with_ native groups.

Detailed descriptions of the regs, requirements, and notification
guidelines can be obtained from Tim McKeown, NAGPRA Program leader, at
(202) 343-4101.

I have to admit being of two minds regarding Deward Walker's concerns.  I
agree that many folks have set themselves up as experts on NAGPRA, and at
one level we could debate whether all of them fully understand the law and
its regulations.  I am less sure this is simply an attempt to profit from
Native American human remains, as folks have set themselves up as experts
on every other facet of museum operation and administration, and we could
debate their expertise too.

Alex Barker
Dallas Museum of Natural History