From:
Heidi Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 05:47:00 PST

>I have wondered for years, who it is that is teaching people that the
news
>media has an absolute responsibility to spoon feed us the truth (and
use
>good grammer and correct spelling in the process).
>
>We have an obligation to seek out the truth and even then, when we
settle
>on it, it will be the truth only from our own narrow perspective.  That
>means we must go to multiple sources and draw our own conclusions.  How
can
>you even begin to draw those conclusions (and with a good conscience,
>vote!) if you don't do that?

I wander - what percentage of the population reads a newspaper daily or
at least several days per week?  what percentage of the population
votes?  (this too is a small number)  and how much overlap is there.  I
would be willing to bet that the people that read the newspaper are also
the people that vote.  And I would be willing to go further by saying
that the people that don't read the paper, also don't vote.

Further, I think it is really funny that the news spoon feeds us the
"truth", but whose truth is it?  And how can what the American news'
truth be different from the truth according to the rest of the WORLD!
If you watch the news in America, no chemical weapons were used in the
Gulf War.  But if we had watched the news in any other country, we would
have been told that in fact chemical weapons WERE used.  How can the
news, presumably the truth, about the same subject be so COMPLETELY
different?

Oh well.  Just a thought.

>We are educators for crying out loud.  How can we begin to do that if
we
>are uninformed?
>

>------
>Robert Handy