From:
Tricia Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:06:43 -0500
Good evening,

The answer, of course, is really, really REALLY big speakers...

but seriously, there are a number of technologies that you can use for this.
One of the methods is an inductive loop system whereby anybody with a 'T'
setting on their hearing aid can just switch over to that and hear the audio
through their hearing aid(s). The implementations vary from a single loop
to "phased array" systems where you can really control the boundary of the
inductive loop, and you could even have separate areas for two different
languages with no more than a couple of feet between them. These same
systems also have devices visitors hang around their necks with a headphone
they can use - normally given out or rented. We did a rather large system
covering an entire auditorium and it's really nice - it works exceedingly well
especially for people with hearing aids with T switches.

Alternatives are an infra-red system which needs headphones for each person
that wants to hear the audio, an LED sign below the screen that provides
captioning off-screen, and an LED sign mirrored and behind the audience
whereby some seats have a piece of acrylic in front of them that
superimposes the sign behind a bit like a peppers ghost (can work very well
and be unobtrusive for those who don't use it) - I've even seen one place
where visitors were given a piece of acrylic so that they could overlay the
captioning.

You could go exotic (and expensive) and have some seats with built-in
speakers aimed mostly up - but you should use linear array speakers so that
you don't mess up the audio experience for others in the audience.

For a quick commercial break (sorry - I just have to as it really is a very nice
piece of equipment): our high definition video server allows for captioning to
be present on screen (or for it to be output to an LED sign) where you can
turn the captioning on or off during the program (and select different
languages on the fly. Our server doesn't need anything special to edit or
display subtitles (it just uses a text file that contains time and subtitle
information including the words in plain text), and you can set the size,
location and color to more or less whatever you want.

Best regards,

Maris J. Ensing
Mad Systems Inc
www.madsystems.com