From:
Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:19:49 -0400
A few years ago, I visited Battle Abbey in Southern England (the site of
the Battle of Hastings) which is operated by English Heritage.  They have a
really interesting audio tour there.  Visitors are given audio wands which
contain a keypad and an earphone. Each interpretation station has a small
unobtrusive metal plaque bearing a number on it.  These numbers are entered
on the keypad, and the appropriate audio segment is played in the earpiece.
This way, each visitor has the choice of listening to (or skipping) the
audio, and can visit the stations in any order they please.  And there are
different language audio wands available as well.

Alex Avdichuk

Has anyone tried to use audio CDs for audio tours? ... I also
thought another advantage was that you could let people play back the
"tracks" in any order. This way they could proceed from place to place in
any order they wanted which might help with traffic flow. People could jump
past an exhibit (or three) and then come back to it (them) later.

Douglas W. St.Clair
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]