From:
Julianne Snider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:33:03 -0400
At our recent meeting in San Francisco, the Society for the Preservation
of Natural History Collections conferred the 2011 Carolyn L. Rose Award
for outstanding commitment to Natural History Collections Care and
Management to John E. Simmons in recognition of his significant
contributions to collection management worldwide, with impacts that go
far beyond the herpetology collections he managed for 30 years.

It is easy to see that John was a natural to receive this honor when one
reads some of the accolades in the support letters that were amassed on
his behalf:

“For anyone interested in fluid-preserved collections, John’s papers
have been as enlightening as his wit.  They have helped to refute the
alchemy that has too often characterized preparation and care of
specimens consigned to postmortem existence in liquids.”

“In my opinion, his sharing of current knowledge has created
consciousness and awareness of what we have in Latin America in our
collections of natural history.”

“His knowledge of all things collection management [is] immeasurable.”

“I doubt there is another person on the planet who knows more about
fluid collections and their management.”

“For over thirty years, John Simmons has been one of the best
ambassadors for our profession that we have ever seen.”

"He is one of the worthiest [people] to receive the Carolyn Rose Award
of all time".

Please join me in extending congratulations to the recipient!

Sincerely,
Rich Rabeler
SPNHC Past President and Chair, Recognition and Grants Committee