From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:07:26 -0500
I have always favored short or very short mission statements. Ideally they
are one sentence, or phrase long. The New York Times mission statement ("All
the news that's fit to print") is an ideal. The advantages of this approach
include: 1) Focus by the drafters on the core value(s) of the organization
or committee; 2) Clarity and comprehensibility for members of the committee;
3) Ease of communicating scope of institution/committee to outsiders,
particularly the media. Few folks have the desire and/or patience to listen
to a recitation of all that an institution/committee does.

Depending on the values and culture of your institution I would hope that
members of the committee would have a significant say in "how the committee
functions effectively" (paraphrase, not an actual quote) and that this issue
would be revisited on a regular basis to see if the work of the committee
can be improved. I would recommend a short mission statement accompanied by
a separate sheet of "Guiding Principles" that reflect your views, as well
as, views of other committee members.
nburlakoff