From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:20:12 EST
Per: Native American museums in Germany. there are extensive Native
American collections throughout Germany, many in what was formerly
the GDR. Perhaps you have heard of the American Indian Museum near
Dresden with large collections of authentic artifacts. Several years
ago I chaired a commission to the GDR for IREX (International Research
and Exchanges Board), and one of our projects was to document the Indian
collections in the GDR. The slides and documentation are now with the
Smithsonian's Museum of the American Indian in New York.

The commission was concerned with museum issues of all kinds, with exchanges
of people,and seminars in both countries. The Indian artifact documentation
was to consider a joint exhibition which never happened because of the
reunificationof Germany.

If you want more detailed information about the museum in Dresden, please
let me know and I will try to find it for you.

Good luck!   Jane Glaser, [log in to unmask]