From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:00:32 -0500
Help me out here, people.  I have always understood the term "public museum" to be applied to all museums that are either incorporated at 501(c)(3) institutions, or that are agents of a government.  I therefore see virtually no difference between a "private non-profit" museum and a museum that is run by a City.

Is there something that I don't understand here?  I am under the impression that we are all held to the same standard by the public, that we are watched by the state attorneys general and the IRS, as well as our colleagues and professional organizations.

I have a board member who has told me that "we are a private organization, and we can do whatever we want".  This is in the context of the discussion of our first-ever collections management policy.

Any good sources I can cite?

Claudia

Claudia J. Nicholson
Executive Director
North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting
2640 Seventh Avenue East
North St. Paul, MN 55109-3103
651-748-2880
www.nssm.org