From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:52:26 +1300
Indigo,

This time wearing my 'other hat' as a Web Centre Manager for a major
university:

There are many composite newsletter sites on the web and to be honest, they
don't contribute largely to promoting your own site. Most of these so called
'newsletters' are in  fact fronts for advertising to push products to the
unwary and they come with a huge variety of annoying advertising 'pop-ups'

If anyone is SERIOUS about web promotion then they need a carefully targeted
campaign to identified audiences/markets.  This will include traditional
media, online placement, directory and search engine placement etc. etc.

he very BEST way of promoting you site is to build ENGAGEMENT into it, when
you undertake site design.  That way word of mouth and bookmarking will have
a multiplying effect upon visitation.

I spent a year developing the strategy, undertaking user surveys, designing
the architectural blue print and then building the university's web site -
all to clearly defined market segments.  Result  - a quadrupling of usage,
web awards and MOST importantly a sense of ownership from our primary site
users - our students.

My advice therefore is simple:  clearly identified the market for your site
and find out what THEIR expectations/needs are -  BE USER FOCUSED

If you want to seriously promote tourism or be part of a cross promotion to
this market then  I wouldn't waste time with sites like  Emazing.com.  I
would be partnering with your local and national tourist web sites, building
tourist specific information into your own etc.

Sorry didn't want this to sound like once of my lectures on this subject (
and I have delivered a few!), but I feel strongly that a lot of well
intentioned effort is wasted on web promotions that are never going to
deliver the goods.

with best wishes
Roger
former Chair of the International Council of Museums Marketing and PR
Committee  (ICOM MPR) and
publisher of Global Museum   http://www.globalmuseum.org