From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:56:49 -0700
Playing devil's advocate a tad here, do we want to
censor groups?  Do we, in the interest of promoting
enlightened thinking, want to offer multiple
viewpoints so as to encourage others to do probative
thinking or do we want to say we have thought,
therefore it is?  Period.  No question.

While I personally think ID makes for a great fairy
tale (ok, where do I get a refund on all that happily
ever after stuff?), I am a firm believer in evolution.
 But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be open to someone
trying to convince me--with facts--to the contrary.

If we squash such interactive participation, I think
we lose a lot.  I think, however, the problem has been
that those who promote ID, especially in the recent
past, have made significant efforts at trying to
squash talk of evolution.  That is equally unfair.

--- Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>     I think we all must keep in mind, the Discovery
> Institute gave a
> contribution of $16,000 to the Smithsonian and, just
> like any other donor,
> they have been granted permission to use the
> auditorium to screen their
> movie.
>     Whether one is sympathetic with the contents of
> the movie, the system
> has this 'loophole.'  The Discovery Institute is not
> abusing or misusing the
> system.
>     However, perhaps the system should be changed
> once we ask ourselves: Who
> should decide what can be shown in the Smithsonian's
> facilities following
> such a donation?  Do we want Holocaust deniers
> giving money to the
> Smithsonian for the right to show revisionist
> propaganda?  Do we want the
> KKK donating money so as to conduct a 'White Power'
> lecture series?  I can
> come up with dozens of other scarier thoughts than
> an intelligent design
> movie.
>
>     [Note: I'm not a supporter of the Design
> Institute, their
>     ideas, or their movie.  I am a supporter of
> consistency in
>     museum policy.]
>
> Best wishes, sincerely,
>
> Jay Heuman