Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:26:57 -0700
Dear Mr. Sas,

Regarding the role of the tourist when determining museum direction, here is some feedback from the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - USA.

We conduct seasonal market research - summer and winter seasons - that help us to determine which exhibits the public enjoys, if they like our cafe and gift shop, and if they like our evening programs.

We have only conducted the research for two years and our exhibit calendar is three years in advance.  Thus, the current exhibits do not reflect the feedback.  However, public reaction to an exhibit is being considered, to a degree, in future exhibit planning.  Exhibits are also chosen to satisfy educational goals, too.  Public popularity is not the only criterion.

Our Curator of Education conducts evaluations on her regular course offerings to the local and regional public schools and makes changes accordingly.  We consider our student populace to be "a visitor," also.

Finally, our overall findings, with gallery visitation and educational programs, is that interaction with the museum art is crucial and is what brings most satisfaction to the visitor.  Therefore, our programs involve a great deal of hands on (sketching, studying art history, walking tours with docents, etc.) activities.  A recent example is that we have installed two cd rom computer kiosks in our children's gallery that have been very well received.  "Aloof appreciation does not satisfy" is our motto.

Hope you find this helpful.
Ponteir Sackrey
Marketing Manager
National Museum of Wildlife Art