From:
Heddi Plumb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 15:07:47 EDT
Dear Museum-L members,
I apologize in advance if this is an imposition-
I am in the process of looking for a graduate program (MA) where I can study
textile and costume history, with the hope that that will lead me to the
museum world.
Unfortunatly, I have no experience in museum work and the only reference to
the field I have found so far is the following quote from a book listing
internships (1993): "Although some new museum programs have recently been
established, the number of entry-level positions has not expanded
significantly. Full-time positions are sparse and gaurded by those who have
them...."
That is awfully discouraging, but I already know about the lack of funding
for the arts and reduced staff, since I currently work in theatre, where it
is not too difficult to get a job, so I am wondering if it is really as bad
as the above quote implies. In theatre, I think, it is easier to get an entry
level job because new employees are less expensive .....in my experience,
 there is a disproportionate number of people under thirty. So I also wonder
if museum professionals stay in the business or if many start but then move
on to different career because of a lack of jobs.
In reading the archives of this list, I saw that a book on planning a museum
career- does anyone knows if that has been published yet?
I have not yet managed to get much advice on how specific my degree should
be. If I go to a program that focuses on history only, will it be impossible
for me to find a job in a museum? (I ask this because my undergraduate degree
is marketing, not theatre- related)
On the other hand, will I be discredited as a professional if I go to a
museum studies program, and have a less complete knowlege of, in this case,
textile history? Or should I plan to get two degrees before I am prepared
enough?
If anyone has any advice or can point me to some books or journals or
magazines, I would really appreciate the help.
I appologize again for asking for your help, as I myself have little that I
can contribute in return. I am asking here since it seems that responding is
much more voluntary than to a phone call or a letter....
Thanks for your time,
Heddi Plumb   ([log in to unmask])