From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:54:31 -0700
> Dear friends,I am tasked with putting together a
> show with model trains for the upcoming Holiday
> Season - Christmas and New Year's.

As Laurel mentioned, this is exactly what was done at
Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science from 1954 to 1991. It started as
the Christmastown Railroad in 1954, but its popularity
grew so rapidly that Buhl soon started scheduling the
display for four months a year: November through
February. In fact, it came to the point where the
revenues derived from this one seasonal exhibit
pretty-much paid for the operation of Buhl Planetarium
for the rest of the year!

The exhibit resumed display in The Carnegie Science
Center as a nearly year-round exhibit in 1992. I
believe they close the exhibit twice a year [each time
for about a month-or-so] for exhibit maintenance.

You can read the entire history of Buhl Planetarium's
Great Miniature Railroad and Village, including links
to lots of photographs, at this link:

< http://buhlplanetarium3.tripod.com/MiniRR.htm >

gaw

--- Olivia Anastasiadis <[log in to unmask]>