From:
Peter REBERNIK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:48:51 +0200
The Technical Museum in Vienna, Austria, closed its doors in September 1992,
and all of the 30.000 registered objects had to documented and transported
to a nearby deposit hall.
I was then the director and responsible for the move (now I am consultant
and manager of diverse international cultural projects). Why we did it: the
80 year old buidling needed desparately refurbishment; nothing was done to
it in 80 years! Therefore, we decided to move out, instead of moving the
objects around all through the work and dust and people running around.
We took pictures of all coordinates of the museum hall (about 170.000 square
feet) to be able to reconstruct the whereabouts of the museum - and the
looks of the old museum, we laid out a software to control the flow of the
objects in and out of the storage and the museum.
Now, years later (new directors came and went) the objects return slowly,
much too slowly, maybe.
But it was quite a task and it was finished within some month - of course,
with all due problems and of course, with minor or funny mishapps.

If you are interested in such a major move, just tell it.

Peter, the Rebernik
(address at the end)