From:
Cheryl Maslin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:12:58 -0700
Oh, dear...

Well, from my experience, I found the best beginning part-time jobs,
while Still In School for Both Undergrad and Graduate degrees, is
working and volunteering for any number of a variety of non-profits, all
at varying levels of budget/income-- This background gave me a wealth of
work experience in business and administration, human/behavioral
psychology, art/gallery- both for- & non-profit, and finally, the
internships for the MA in Museum Studies helped me acquire the actual
skills of working in museums.  I extended my academic studies (there's
always more to learn) another year and added general fund-raising for
non-profits and at last a grantwriting course, even though my focus in
the MA is Collections-based.

While I may actually stop going to school on a formal/student-aid basis,
I will always expect to attend conferences, workshops (some not directly
museum-sponsored) and even courses through extended-learning systems of
universities simply to maintain some form of continuing education to
help my career as the years go by.

What is unfortunately, sorely missing from high school and early college
counseling is that the most significant difference between high school
and Bachelor's level education is- that in those college years, you have
the opportunity to examine, discuss and explore issues that could not be
discussed in high school simply because at that earlier age, you are not
considered a legal adult.  The BA level is basically make-up for what
you were not taught (for better or for worse), and also Begin to develop
certain work skills and understanding in an area of interest which you
will hopefully pursue a career at a professional MASTER's level.  Keep
in mind, even the IRS doesn't accept undergraduate as professional
training.

So- it would seem you've still a lot of work ahead of you if you want to
make things better for this potential career choice.

good luck!