From:
Robert Panzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:17:06 -0400
David Harvey says:

" if you can stand on a public street and photograph the work (or building)
then I believe that there in no inherent copyright of that image by the
creator of the work, I know that this applies to the use / permission
of images of people but am not totally positive that it applies to art
and objects."

I believe that if you take a shot of a work of art in a public place and the
focus of the shot is NOT the work, but of many things in the scene, then you
do NOT need permission of the rights holder to publish the photo.  But if
the shot is clearly focused on the work, whether as the result of a tight
shot on the work or a shot in which everything is blurred except the work,
then you would need permission.

Sincerely,

Robert Panzer
Executive Director
VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association, Inc.)
350 Fifth Avenue
Suite 2820
New York, NY  10118
Tel: 212 736 6666