From:
Brian Biddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:07:17 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Cheryl Musch
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Greetings fellow museum-l educators:
>I've been contracted to create a game to put in traveling educational
>community kits.  The kits are for 7-8th grades.  We've talked about creating
>something similar to Jeopardy or maybe the ever-popular Colony.  We don't
>have access to a graphic designer so anything with a board would be difficult.
>
>Has anyone out there included games in traveling trunks or educational kits
>for junior high school students?  How would you evaluate the success of your
>games?
>
>Thanks in advance for any input.  Feel free to contact me directly.
>===============
>Cheryl Musch
>Museum Consultant
Something I used to do for children, whilst working as an environmental
archaeologist at Bedford, was create soil samples for the children to
sort.  Take a bag of gravel (sorted residues of genuine samples are
ideal) and add to it a few large stones, some fragments of pot, bone
tile etc reclaimed from unstratified material (or you could use modern
material, but make sure that any sharp edges are filed down first), and
a few specially charred grains.  We found that the children enjoyed
hunting for the finds in these, especially uf they had seen the work
being done for real before hand.
--
Brian Biddle
Bletchley Park Training