From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:22:28 -0500
Dirk,

I think Janice is right. A good combination of information and
entertainment seems a likely route. Evolutionary theory is very
straightforward in concept and very complex in practice. It can be rather
dry and sound convoluted. Some of the best exhibitions I have seen involve
good graphics and models/dioramas that actually show the various stages
within a certain creature's evolution. How the
bones/skin/fur/coloration/behavior/etc adapted to suit certain
environments, and most importantly what they looked like before. Working
the elements together to show how they fit into the bigger picture is
sometimes left short.

That seems to be the best way to present the complexity in a form that can
be easily and quickly assimilated. Our younger generations like
interactivity and computer availability, so that would certainly be useful.
Perhaps even games that work on the topics, such as the various forms of
games that allow one to create virtual situations and creatures that evolve
over time. We have to find ways to keep it interesting and relevant to
current situations.

I wonder if trying to show too much at once would be a problem. Perhaps
sticking to just fish evolution, or primates, or whales would be more
effective. Martin's idea about insect/epidemiology evolution in relation to
modern society is great.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Dirk Van
             Tuerenhout
             <[log in to unmask]>                                           To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: Godwin's Law and the thread on
                                       evolution & ID
             07/05/2005 03:06
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I agree.  When I see Hitler invoked, I cannot help but think that
rational thought has just gone out of the window.

It is interesting that I received only one reaction to a question I
posed a few weeks ago: how does one make science (and especially
evolution) attractive again for the general public?  This is a question
I ask without wanting to be condescending; we all have read science
texts that really pulled us in and others that we had to put down
because they were just too awful.

I keep wondering then: How does one proceed teaching about evolution in
a way that engages people and allows them to come to a better
understanding of this fascinating topic, and all this without resorting
to soundbites(like the one I reacted to)?

Thanks

Dirk Van Tuerenhout