From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 09:26:57 -0700
Robin,

Vikane is a pesticide that is commercially useful because once it is
used and the building is aired out then it is safe for human
reoccupation and leaves no residual poisons. However, Vikane contains
organic acids that will affect archival and museum collections. When
this was a treamtent for one of the historic buildings at Colonial
Williamsburg we had to remove all of the acid-sensitive objects and
media before the treatment. This included prints, paintings, metals,
reverse painted glass, textiles, etc. I would also be very concerned
about photographic and negative collections as well.

Usually the full-on tent fumigation is the method of last resort for
an infestation. Is your problem that bad? Have you tried other
alternatives?

Here is a URl with a good resource on museum pest control from the
Conservation Online site:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/chicora/chicpest.html

And I would also advise that you do an in-depth analysis at how
reinfestation can be prevented - and this includes a full examination
and assessment of the building design and especially the foundation
and surrounding landscape and drainage. The tenting treatment may kill
off the current termite problem only to have it reoccur if the core
preventive measures are not put into place.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator