Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:19:16 -0500
Dear Beth,
Beth,
Sticky traps work well to monitor and evaluate the extent of any infestation
(they will not get rid of a problem). Pheromones will attract your silver
fish. However, killing the silver fish with a chemical has the potential for
additional problems later on. Any poison will often times allow the creature
to return to its hiding spots to die. Once deceased, the insect will
decompose, now the insect has the potential for attracting other creepy
crawlies to eat out the insides (great nutritional source) and/or use the
remaining carcass as a host site for laying eggs. The best way to deal with
any insect problem or to prevent a problem is to:
1. Monitor (sticky traps are great)
2. Clean, clean, clean
3. Treat any potential problem before it gets out of hand.

Lisa Scholten
Curator of Collections
South Dakota Art Museum