From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:26:55 -0500
I mis-remember; okay, I admit it, I forgot; who was interested in this
subject awhile back, but I copied this off the calligraphy list:

Artists Book Show in Berkeley, thru 12/29

DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW! if you're anywhere within range by year's end:

A *fabulous* artists book show just opened at the Berkeley Art Center Assoc.,
located in Live Oak Part, 1275 Walnut Street, in (north) Berkeley,
California. Sibyl & I attended the opening reception on Sunday and were duly
impressed with the high quality of all the work displayed, the marvelous
mounting of the show [kudos to BACA staff & helpers for a job well done],
and the very intriguing schedule of additional events in conjunction with
the show.

The show will run through 29 December, Wed. - Sun. 12 - 5 p.m. This short
announcement is copied from the BACA Newsleaf:

A stunning exhibition of artists books, a number of them collaborations with
scientists, opens at BACA on Wednesday, Ocober 30.

"Science Imagined" invited the exploration of scientific principles and
imaginative illustration of artists' understanding of those principles. The
books produced for the exhibition are truly astonishing in the range of
scientific subjects explored and the variety of presentations.

Work was selected in two ways: a core of invited artists was asked to prepare
a piece relating to the subject, and a call for entries was distributed
nationally and internationally. The responses have been surprising and often
moving. Jurors Susannah Hays (who also curated the invited portion); Robin
Rider, Historian of Science and Curator of Special Collections at the Univ.
of Wisconsin; and BACA director Robbin Henderson selected nearly 30 books
from over 60 submitted.

Books came from as far away as the Netherlands, U.K. and Canada, as well as
from across the U.S. and from the presses of many local artists.
Participants number nearly 80 and include Leda Black, Nance O'Banion,
Marylee Bytheriver, Julie Chen, SAS Colby, Dale Going, Georgianna Greenwood,
Charles Hobson, Michael Henninger, Lisa Kokin, Meredith Mustard, Lynne
Prather, Joyce Cutler-Shaw, Jaime Robles, Anne Schwartzburg, Judith
Serebrin, Indigo Som,
Joanne Sonnichsen, Donna & Peter Thomas, F. Deschamps and J. Mohns, Elena
Rivera, Diane Jacobs, Michael O'Shea, Nancy Ruth Leavitt, Dorothy Yule, and
many others.[including Sibyl Rubottom, James Machacek, Steve Nosaan, and
Sara Rosenbluth of San Diego!]

A lovely catalog is available for $15.
The special events planned in conjunction with the exhibition's run include:
Readings from the books, Tues., Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m. Collaborations, Artists &
Scientists, Thurs., Dec. 19, 7:30 p.m. Berkeley Art Center
1275 Walnut Street Berkeley, CA 94709 510.644.6893

Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]