From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:22:45 -0700
In this whole sad event of looting and the even sadder (to me)
blaming the troops, several of the postings made reference to the
riots in Los Angeles in the 60s and in Trenton NJ, .  But did the
blamers stop to think that in both cases, this country was not at war
and the full force of local police plus national Guard were right
there.  And what were the results?  Enormous damage to personal
property, innumerable burnings and loss of lives. Do they really feel
that a few thousand troops in a city of 4 million could have stopped
the carnage?  To answer my own question: yes, they might have by
firing their machine guns into the civilian crowds of looters. Is that
what they would have approved of in LA and Trenton?

Enough is enough,  we all deplore the losses, but lets stop this
"shoot from the hips" blaming and second guessing what should have
been done.  And, for good measure, stop using this forum for
expressing political beliefs.

John Bing