From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:37:49 -0400
WARNING SOAPBOX STANDING TO COMMENCE

Gasoline is never an appropriate substance to use for anything other than
powering a motor designed to burn this fuel.

Sevin dust is highly toxic and perhaps best applied by someone licensed to
apply pesticides. Oh, heck, no best about it. If you aren't trained to use
pesticides you have NO business sprinkling Sevin anywhere, much less near
your museum's visitors.

HELLO...we are responsible for our visitors' health and safety and that of
our employees.

Why do so many of us fear contacting professionals yet squeal when people
don't come to us for advice on storing their precious family photographs?

Don't even get me started on people mailing this list with questions their
local librarian might be better able to answer....

It's only Wednesday, and already I'm on a tear.

Now for the really helpful bit....

There are several sources of sound conservation advice you might bookmark
if you are concerned about pest control near an historic structure. Start
with the American Institute of Conservation's conservator referal list.
http://aic.stanford.edu/
Then move to Conservation OnLine: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
Try the Canadian Conservation Institute: http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/
There's always Insects Limited for good bug advice and pheremone traps.
http://www.insectslimited.com/DEFAULT.HTM

And for your own health and safety please check out Arts, Crafts, and
Theater Safety: http://www.caseweb.com/acts/index.html They provide
professional information about the hazards posed by toxic materials and
dangerous equipment used in art and theater settings. (this includes
museums)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:42:14 -0500, Hiller, Rebecca Eileen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>You might try an insecticidal, Sevin 5% Dust. You cannot apply it during
the day as Yellow Jackets are out and about but if you apply it at night
you are assured of getting them all. Do not put a flashlight on the nest
when you apply it either, the Yellow Jackets will come out because they are
attracted to the light.

>If you still see activity the next day you can reapply again at night.
This method is less expensive than calling a professional and will prevent
damage to to your building.

>Good Luck,
>Becca Hiller
>UW-Green Bay
>Social Change and Developement Student
>
>________________________________

and museum and 3 historic buildings.  Visitors are offered guided tours of
these buildings and are free to wander the grounds.  Yesterday the director
and I found a yellow jacket hive close to the main building.  The problem
is that the underground nest is very close to the foundation of the
building.  There is no spray designed for yellow jackets and the trap we
bought does not seem to be working.  Both staff and visitors have been
stung in the past two days.  Because the nest is practically on the house
drastic methods such as using gasoline are not possible.  Any one have a
suggestion?

>Courtney Hybarger
>Historic Site Assistant
>James K. Polk Memorial
>PO Box 475
>Pineville, NC  28134
>(704) 889-7145 phone
>(704) 889-3057 fax
>
>* This message does not necessarily represent the policy of the Department
of Cultural Resources.  E-mail to and from me, in connection with the
transaction of public business, is subject to the North Carolina Public