From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:49:25 -0500
Our new building (40,000 s.f.) by a nationally-known (read "expensive")
architect required a $8.5M campaign, of which $5M was for construction
costs.  The campaign included money for a 3-year transition (to bridge the
gap between income and expenses while we grew into the larger facility),
some programming costs and equipment and a tiny maintenance endowment as
well.  This was 6 years ago, and our cash costs were greatly reduced because
we negotiated sponsorship deals with some of the subcontractors.

Your operational costs will vary depending on what you do in the building
and the prevailing utility costs in your region.  For example, we run a
glassblowing studio 24-7-365 (just about) which you can imagine is
tremendously expensive to operate even if you only consider the
utilities--you may not have that huge of an operational component.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233