From:
Ellen Sheffield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:38:38 EST
There is an organization, People For The American Way, 2000 M Street NW, Suite
400, Washington D.C. 1-800-743-6768, that monitors acts of censorship through
its project ARTSAVE.  They have a very thorough information packet available at
no cost which includes information on The First Amendment and the Artist,
Developing A Freedom of Expression Policy, Building A Coalition, Working with
the Media, Letter-Writing Campaigns, Developing Political Allies and includes
sample materials for developing a freedom of expression policy for your
institution.  They also include a Censorship Incident Survey to be completed
when acts of censorship occur.
I highly recommend this kit.  It was most helpful when our small college
gallery designed it's freedom of expression policy.  Although we have had no
censorship incidents we are now prepared with a written policy in the event of a
situation like the one happening at Arizona State University.  As an arts
attorney I would advise all clients to have a policy in place BEFORE you need
it.
Ellen Sheffield
Olin Art Gallery
Kenyon College