From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 13:17:07 -0500
Mystic Seaport recently acquired a significant new addition to the
collection, a 1946 60' wooden-hulled "eastern rig dragger," (commercial
fishing boat) named Roann.  We already possessed the designer's and
builder's plans in our manuscript (ships' plans) collection, and we were
able to send a team - video, photograph, and oral history - on her final
trawl this June, to document the vessel at work.

Purchasing the vessel from the fisherman/owner was a firm donation from a
"friend" of Roann and the museum; however, our board of directors placed a
contingency on the actual acquisition -- a substantial endowment had to be
raised for Roann's maintenance within a short time period, or the
acquisition would not take place.  The community came through; major
amounts from individual donors to fishermen pledging $100 a year for the
next five years.

Roann is afloat and will be exhibited at the museum's waterfront, thus
maintenance is obviously an on-going/never ending task.  The cost of this
maintenance is likewise never going to disappear.

This situation is a bit different from a painting which needs to be
restretched, so I thought an example such as this might broaden the
perspective.  Yes, our museum will, in certain instances, request (even
require) donations for care of collections with new acquisitions.

Edward Baker
Supervisor of Interpretation
Mystic Seaport Museum
Box 6000