From:
Tom Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:17:14 +0000
Sometimes a knowledge of human foibles allows us to turn an otherwise embarrassi
ng
situation to our advantage and avoid shaming the visitors.

There wasn't much we could do to "save" the visitors to City of Refuge NHP who,
after
hearing that under the kapu system men and women couldn't eat together, etc., wo
uld
stand up and ask "How did the Hawaiians carry on their race if they couldn't eat
 together?"

We could, however, make a joke about the Hawaiians not having discovered a new p
rinciple
of buoyancy BEFORE folks had a chance to ask if the canoe on the beach (built of
 an
exotic wood that was attached by carpenter bees) was built without a bottom!
--

Tom Vaughan            \_    Cultural
The Waggin' Tongue      \_    Resource