From:
George M Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 20:28:41 GMT
The curatorial staff here at Arizona State Museum routinely identify
archaeological and ethnographic items for the public, both for walk-in
visitors and for those who send photographs.  We expressly do not give
monetary appraisals, but refer those requests to the "appraisers"
section of the local telephone book.  If I'm not really confident in
a particular identification/attribution I take care to explain that
my id/att is my personal opinion, and usually suggest the visitor
seek another opinion elsewhere on the staff or in the wider university
community.  Object identification/attribution is part of the job
descriptions of most of the curatorial staff.  We are, of course, a
state-supported institution.

--
Mike Jacobs * Arizona State Museum * University of Arizona * Tucson AZ 85721
          tel: (602) 621-6312 * email: [log in to unmask]