From:
jacob thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:02:56 +0200
Hello,

I would propose that you try Picasa, while not a long term solution, it
is free for download from Google.  It would serve as a stop gap measure
until you are able to source and purchase an image archival software.
To find some I would recommend consulting DigiCULT, www.digicult.info.
Seamus Ross is extremely knowledgeable about such topics, as he is also
the director of HATII at the University of Glasgow.

But back to Picasa, it is part of the download pack made available by
google; it is free and frequently upgraded and improved, it seems to
handle large volumes, thousands, of images with little problems.  I do
not know if it will be appropriate for your needs, but if you have a
windows computer running XP it is worth downloading and taking for a
test drive.

Jacob Thomas
conservation scientist and
museum studies master's student

On Apr 18, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Gary Andrashko wrote:

> I have a question I'm hoping you can help with regarding image
> management software.  Our Museum is faced with the problem of a
> rapidly growing digital image archive of all types of photographs for
> the Museum: PR, publications, collections, events/programs, etc., and
> we are searching for the best software to archive the images in a way
> that they can be accessed by other sites within our museum system (we
> have 6 sites).  We would also like that software to be upgradeable as
> we move forward.
>
> Is there something out there that fellow museum photographers are
> currently using to archive their work, or is everyone struggling with
> the issue? I realize that few museums have the luxury of a staff
> photographer or photography department, but for those who do, I would
> appreciate hearing of your experiences and would welcome any
> suggestions you can offer on this issue.
>

> Gary Andrashko
> Museum Photographer
> Illinois State Museum
> 502 So. Spring St.
> Springfield, IL 62706
> (217) 782-2272
> (217) 782-1254 Fax

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message

Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set