From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 08:36:58 -0400
I just happened to have a copy of the Canadian Conservation Institute's
technical bulletin number 8 the care of wooden objects at my desk.

the following is what it has to say on "feeding wood" in their cleaning and
polishing section: general surface dusting may be done with a soft cloth or
feather duster, if the surface has a high finish a slightly damp cloth may
be used - this should feel only slightly damp to the touch,

bare wood should never be cleaned by any wet method.

if the piece has an original finish (oil, varnish or shellac) and is in good
condition, the surface may only need rubbing with a clean, dry cloth. if
dirty, it may be cleaned with a mixture of warm water or warm water and
ammonia, both in the proportion of 40-to-1, applied with a lightly damp
cloth and quickly dried with another cloth. if the surface has a sticky was
build-up remove it with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits (varsol,
shellsol) and carefully dry.

once a surface finish is clean and dry it can be polished by an application
of a plain wax furniture polish applied sparingly and polished off well.

Do not use any mixture which includes linseed oil as it apt to build up in
corners, remain sticky, attract dust and eventually become darkened and
insoluble. Many an object has been ruined by application of linseed oil
formula even in cases where linseed was regularly applied during its working
life - once the object becomes a museum piece this practice should be
discontinued.

any polish (particularly an aerosol can) containing silicones should be
avoided. Lemon oil and other oils should not be used since they are not
compatible with antique finishes.

Hope this helps disuade your volunteer from feeding the furniture.

Carol Reid
Collections Manager, Archives
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, ON, Canada,
K1A 0M8

www.warmuseum.ca

tel: (819) 776-8661
fax: (819)776-8657
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:32:42 -0600, Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I have a volunteer who insists that we should be "feeding" our wood with
linseed and/or orange oil.  I know that this is not the correct thing to do
but have yet to say anything that convinces him.  Any suggestions for a
tactful way to tell him this is not the best thing for the wood?