From:
"Anderson, Abbie M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:24:29 -0500
We are a medium-sized, university-based anthropology museum. We have
tried in the past to work with our university's Foundation for
fund-raising, but we have repeatedly fallen through the cracks as other
projects have shunted us aside.

This past July we held a Community Luncheon, with about 50 guests from
across the community's movers and shakers as well as long-term friends
and partners of the museum. The idea was to brainstorm together about
what the museum can do, with the longer-range (and somewhat covert) goal
of sounding out people who might join an advisory board aimed at
promoting the museum and raising support. We did get a lot of fresh,
valuable input, while establishing new relationships and reaffirming old
ones. It was a very productive time.

Conversations between staff members and guests were the main focus of
the event. We also offered informal tours of the Collections both before
and after the meal, to accommodate people's schedules, and our Director
gave some general remarks. The luncheon was scheduled from 12:00-1:00,
with tours offered at 11:30 and 1:00 for those who could spare the time.
We felt it was critical to make it as easy as possible for people to
come--to not demand too much time out of their busy days.

The upshot is still to be determined, as we follow up with our guests
and take the next steps.

This doesn't exactly address the original question, but is an idea that
others might try as they progress toward establishing a board. If
nothing else, you get some excellent feedback, build a lot of good will,
and remind people that a) you're here; b) you share some of the same
concerns they face in their own work; and c) you're a potential partner
for things they want to do. Half the draw for the luncheon was the
guests' opportunity to network with each other (that, and free food
<g>). We felt it was a major Positive for everyone involved.

Abbie Anderson
Mathers Museum of World Cultures
Curator of Education
(812) 855-0197