From:
Chad Landsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:41:07 -0600
Goods Morning Everyone,
I'm in the preliminary stages of trying to calculate a rough insurance
value for our College's Ethnographic and Archaeological collections and
was hoping some of you might be able to give me some
assistance/direction on possible strategies for approaching this
project.  As it currently stands, the only coverage that our collections
have is that which covers the actual facility the collections are housed
in.  As you can guess this is woefully inadequate.  I'm preparing an
informational document to provide the administration with some ballpark
figures to determine the best way to insure our collections, i.e.
increasing facility insurance coverage or separate coverage for the
collections themselves.

The Anthropology collections are split into two main components;
Ethnography and Archaeology.  The Ethnographic collection includes 1100
objects including the standard Native American bead work, basketry, and
hunting/fishing technology as well as material culture from Africa,
Asia, and the Central Pacific Islands.  The Archaeological Collections
contain in excess of 1 million artifacts - primarily from Iowa,
Wisconsin, and Missouri - representing everything from Paleoindian to
historic sites.

One possibility is to calculate the insurance value of the
archaeological collections by multiplying the number of boxes by a
percentage of our curation/repository fee, but that seems extremely
arbitrary considering the broad range of artifacts we curate.  Likewise,
I'm uneasy about using auction catalogs or Ebay as an indicator for the
value of our ethnographic collections.  Can anyone point me to some
resources or articles about this process?  Any information, anecdotal or
otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to contact me
off-list if you prefer.
Thank You
Chad Landsman

--